Sunday, October 21, 2012

Top Priority: Family?

Everyone always says family comes first. And I certainly agree with that claim. But in my Q&A I proposed an example of person X who was working out of his home town in a weekend charity event. He received a call saying his sister was in a car accident and in ICU at the hospital. The doctor says she will recover. X is left with the decision to head home to help his family with emotional support, or stay at the shorthanded charity event where he could be helping hundreds of unfortunate people. I know if I was in this situation, I would rush home, no thought about it. I'd be choosing my sister over hundreds of strangers. Seems logical. But then again, I'm letting down the other staff, who now have to pick up my slack as well which could cause a backup in the event and possibly resulting in some people not being aided. Which act leads to the morally good and altruistic consequence? I feel like I should be saying the option to stay at the event but I still would choose my sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment